We had 11 Juniors head down to the Gwen French Memorial Junior 2 Day Tour in Wagga. The kids finished with three medals and a whole bag of great memories and experiences. Race reports are as follows. Scroll down for a few photos
Wagga Junior Tour – Day 1
A big bunch of OCC kids headed to Wagga for the weekend. Today is was the road race and Crit for all age groups. A quick overview.
- U9 boys – Gydion Dally, Nicko Chopping and debutant Lachlan Crump battled it out with a small field with Lachie taking out a maiden win in the Crit.
- U11 girls- Anja Dally had a tough day in the saddle but finished with a smile.
- U11 boys – with 4 OCC riders in this age group of 15 riders it was always going to be a competitive field. Cam Crump and Charlie Brown worked together towards the tail end of their first regional road race. Damo chopping and Xavier Bland pressed hard showed off the work the have been doing. Damo scored a 5th in the road race while Xavier pulled of a 2nd in the road race and a 1st in the Crit.
- U13 girls – Cennedi Dally finished with the bunch in the road race and mid field in a much faster Crit race
- U13 boys – Micah Dibble has really improved in the last 6 months to finish mid pack. Honorary OCC members Ben Anderson and Luke Tuckwell worked the pointy end all day
Well done to all the kids today. They have all worked super hard at training and rode safe and hard all day.
Thanks to the Mums and Dads too. A great bunch of people to spend time with
Wagga Junior Tour – Day 2
The Wagga Junior Tour drew to a close today with another day of very close racing. Highlights of the day were as follows.
- U9 Boys – Nicko Chopping turned himself inside out in the road race this morning (see photo) to get one over his cousin Gydion Dally and earn himself top spot on the podium for the weekend. Gydi took out the time trial and the third for the weekend, while surprise package , Lachlan Crump, in his first road carnival, was 4th.
- U11 Boys – Xavier Bland finished the road race in a very tight sprint, coming in second by less than a bike length. He turned himself inside out for second in the ITT and a silver medal for the weekend, only 0.7 seconds off the gold. Damien Chopping picked up a 4th in the ITT and a 5th overall for the weekend. Debutantes Cam Crump and Charlie Brown finished the weekend a very credible 8th and 9th in a field of 14.
- U11 Girls – Anja Dally was the only OCC rider in this age group and battled a strong field for 10th overall.
- U13 Boys – Micah Dibble achieved all of his goals for the weekend, staying with the bunch for a large part of each race. In the ITT he took a massive 1:24 off his time from last year. Patrick Crump in his first carnival discovered just how tough the competition was and finished in the ITT in 14th place. Honorary OCC members Ben Anderson and Luke Tuckwell (2nd in a bunch sprint in today’s road race) finished 6th and 5th respectively.
- U13 Girls – Cennedi Dally re-injured an wrist in a pre-race crash and did not ride today but finished Saturday in 7th, a very good effort for a first year rider. Watch this space for next year!
Finally, and most importantly, I would like to complement all the kids on how they carried themselves this weekend. They all gave their best, rode safe and congratulated the other kids after each race – a credit to themselves and their their parents.